Tuesday, June 16, 2009

December 2008 Trip: Day 8- Taipei 101 + Shin-Yi Planning Area (信義商圈)


The first attraction that we headed to in Taipei was the famous Taipei 101 tower. I was a little uneasy at first to take an elevator all the way to the top, but it went quickly and we were there before we knew it (I should mention that it is the fastest elevator in the world). We saw a wonderful view of Taipei from the observatory on the 88th floor. We also saw the heaviest ball on Earth that helps stabilize Taipei 101 so it can better resist wind and earthquakes. There were shops at the top of the tower, and I bought a Taiwanese coral necklace for my mom. The mall inside Taipei 101 has a lot of luxury stores where you can shop and purchase famous brand-name clothing, but for us, it was good enough just to look! We had lunch in the tower’s food court, and chose to have Korean food for a change. I also insisted that we buy some pastries from the French style bakery :)

Yummy~~~

Right outside of Taipei city hall there was a parade featuring different mascots, statues, costumes and performances. The parade was entertaining, although I am still not sure why it was held.

After the parade finished, we went to Eslite (誠品)Bookstore (which resembled a department store in and of itself) in the Shin-Yi Planning Area. There were not only books, but also contemporary arts and crafts and stationery. There were probably 4 levels where you could find books in any category and in many different languages. Jason bought me a Taiwanese cuisine cooking book, written both in Chinese and English, with the agreement that I would try and cook him something from it (such as my favorite rice noodles). I still have to honor my side of the agreement…!

No comments:

Post a Comment